Friday, November 9, 2007

a gift of wonder, love and sacredness


If you are not yet familiar with Canadian-born artist Gregory Colbert's work, you are in for a delicious treat and a soul-altering experience. Colbert began his career making documentary films which then segued into fine arts photography. His travels to India, Burma, Sri Lanka, Egypt, Dominica, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tonga, Namibia, and Antarctica led to the filming and photography of the interaction between humans and animals that you see here. How his eyes filters this interaction is nothing short of soul-inspiring, wondrous, and breathtaking.

When I first saw this photo, I knew I was seeing something extraordinary. It touched me in a way no other photograph has ever done before. The gentleness shown between animal and child, the mutual respect,the connection, the mere beauty of it, all captured in its true essence, in its true form. The photo infused all of my senses with such a sense of peace, hope and, above all, love. It centered me to the sacred. This left me hungry to see more and learn more of his work. And I did. And I found that all of his photographs and films, each and every single one of them, led me to the sacred; it left me humbled. All richly captured. All captivatingly beautiful.

And so I now pass this gift of wonder and beauty to you - this miracle of life, this primal connection to the world. Please take the time to visit Ashes and Snow and familiarize yourself with his work. All of it. It is simply nothing short of spectacular.

7 comments:

Rick Hamrick said...

Rebecca--Thank you a thousand times. When I wrote my earlier comment about the 37days challenge, I had managed somehow to avoid seeing the top part of this post.

Then, I saw it, and it was a couple of minutes before I could read your words, because I was entranced.

I have only tilled the very surface of Colbert's website yet. I hope you will excuse me... gotta go see more.

rebecca said...

Rick,

Yes! He does have that effect doesn't he? Words cannot compare. And, you're very welcome...nothing gives me more pleasure than to pass the gift of beauty on...

bella said...

This is one of my all time favorite photographs and images.
Thanks for sharing it here.
Seeing it again, left me with that same speechless wonder, like touching something primal and ancient inside of me, returning me to what i know is true.

Tess said...

Damn! It's nearly 11.30 at night here in the UK and I have to get up at 6. I just can't seem to leave this guy's site alone. Thank you so much for the introduction to this beauty.

AmbiguityLotus said...

Amazing. I went to the site and some of the photos are breath-taking. Some of them resonate with me. I like the fact that he makes animal and humankind a harmonious item.

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us on Cafe Writing! :)

OneMoreBeliever said...

thank you rebecca... awesome photo...yes...i had seen a few pictures before but did not realize the bigger picture...the utube film well cheetahs are extraordinary animals with the capacity of understanding beyond our understanding... recently saw a program on pbs abt a man who saved twin cheetahs and the story, well that is another story...

Day Dreamer said...

...stunning.