Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Mother Earth

monumental glaciers erected inside icy blue waters....seemingly infinite blankets of undulating arid ecru sands....thunderous bolts of light flashing loudly into slumbering ebony nights....welcoming dawns dressed in clear, bright, comfort form....pounding waters at the shores....turbulent deadly storms....tranquil waters captivatingly belying menacing aquatic life....charged particles colliding ~ aurora borealis....sun and moon in close consult turning day into night....humid, natural, green-splendored rainforests....unexplainable crop formations, man made or not?

man....at war for peace....imbalancing the earth through deadly sins....abundant wealth....unchanging poverty....

animal....fighting to survive....for sport, for greed, for gluttony of man....

Mother Earth....balanced by nature....imbalanced by man....juxtaposed scales....unevenly weighed....

©2008 Rebecca Bush

8 comments:

keith hillman said...

What a powerful piece. Really makes one think.Thank you.

Chris said...

Very interesting. I'm not usually one for stream of consciousness, because I find pieces have no direction. I would argue that it is because the writer really has not thought about their piece as a whole, but yours works very well. I found it very engaging. I'm looking forward to more.
Note: please don't think by this comment that my work as any direction. I just know what I like, and I like yours.

bella said...

this is quite captivating.
what beautiful words and images stream from you.
And thanks for leading me to the writer's island. it looks like fun.

Jeques said...

Beautiful imageries flicker in the mind conjured by this piece, and the message behind should not be ignored.

I am destructed the way it is arranged on the page though. It is all over the place. Maybe I'm just used with the traditional way of writing and reading poems, but it would not hurt if this piece is organized in a traditional way either. I believe it would achieve more clarity that way. Just a thought.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

rebecca said...

Jeques,

Thank you for your comment. I completely understand what you are saying about the piece not being organized in the traditional sense. Excellent for having picked that up! You get an A+.

However, there is a reason why I wrote this piece this way. By following traditional poetic form, by following the rules of respect sort of speak, would have been contradictory to what I wanted to project which is that we have LOST respect for this Earth. We, as a people, are all over the place, we have no order, no direction, unorganized, unclear of our stay here, not respecting the Earth, living untraditionally. The stream of consciousness form allowed me to do just that. It allowed me to project the haphazardness that has become us.

But I promise, I do write poetry in traditional, respectful form as well. :)

Thank you for stopping by and I do love your writing.

Jeques said...

Rebecca,

Oh so it was done intentionally. Now I understand. As I've said I'm just so used with poetry written in traditional way.

Thank you for giving light. I love your work as it is.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful piece and thought provoking too

Day Dreamer said...

When will we ever learn? Will we ever learn???