Friday, September 19, 2008

That's Ms. Jones to You...


"in the booth, in the back, in the corner, in the dark"

I'm extending an invitation to laughter.

I'm dating myself here. But I grew up watching this man, Clerow "Flip" Wilson, a comedian whose natural charm, wit, and genius comedic talent made him a much loved staple in many homes back in the 70's. Week after week I'd tune in to watch The Flip Wilson Show and laugh until my sides hurt. Many would agree that his execution of the many characters he played, including Geraldine Jones and Reverend Leroy from The Church of What's Happening Now (which I couldn't find a clip of), was perfection extraordinaire. Despite a rough start in life - he was one of 18 children born into an impoverished family and spent much of his young life in foster homes - he managed to rise above all of the obstacles given to him in life by way of tenacity, ambition, a tremendous amount of talent, a good outlook, a happy spirit, and providence.

Today, while watching Whoopi on The View, she did something that reminded me so much of him. And I youtube'd my fave comedian and ended up laughing uproariously once again - tears flowing, sides hurting. Oh, man, he was great. If you're not familiar with him, watch the clip. Hysterical. Even Broadway Joe could not get thru the skit without laughing. I dare anyone to get thru this without laughing. But as it always was with Ms. Geraldine Jones, the devil made her do it!

23 comments:

Nita Jo said...

LOL! Thanks for sharing this clip. Flip was one of my favorites growing up. I can't wait to share this clip with my boys. He was one of a kind!

White Rose said...

Oh, we used to watch him all the time. Loved him! Thanks for the laugh and the wonderful memories!

mgirl said...

Just what was needed, thanks.(shh, we won't say anything about dating ourself either)

Granny Smith said...

I the words of another old comic, "Thanks for the memory!"

Stan Ski said...

Aren't the old ones always the best? I'm a Brit so I never heard of Flip Wilson before.

robin bird said...

i watched all 9 minutes and 49 seconds of this and it was definitely waaaaay funny! thanks for a good start to a saturday morning here. i remember watching him/her with my parents in their living room and my mom practically wetting her pants laughing so hard :)

Robin said...

I haven't thought about Flip Wilson in years...

b said...

Thank you for such a good memory...and a reminder of where my favorite quote came from. "...the devil made me do it."

I have decided to keep both blogs and rename the second slightly. In the end it turned out that the first was my right brain and second gave the other side a home. Does that make sense?

Thank you for your support.

b

susan said...

Oh, good one. I liked Flip, too, though I was a child so I was no serious, regular fan. I do love the 70s though. Thanks for a good laugh.

B. Roan said...

Thanks for the Flip clip. He's always been one of my favorites. BJ

CoyoteFe said...

That was AWESOME! I have not thought of Flip Wilson in quite awhile. His show was priceless, and I absolutely did NOT make it through this skit without laughing. Thanks for posting!

Jennifer Hicks said...

what a wonderful story about someone who found success after a difficulty upbringing. nice that he was able to bring smiles to so many faces and laughter into many homes

tumblewords said...

I love all the old comedians - Red Skelton, Smothers Brothers, Jonathan Winters...and others. This Flip clip caught me laughing to weak knees! Great post!

Rose said...

"Wooo! Don't fight the feeling! Like tumblewords, I loved Red Skelton, Smothers Brothers ... Flip Wilson and his attitude and shimmy as Geraldine were always good for a laugh. Thanks for posting this; I'm still smiling!

And thanks for your comment and very kind words on my blog, too, Rebecca. You brought light to my spirit. :-)

The Real Mother Hen said...

LOL, the clip you have here is really funny :)

Donn Coppens said...

Flip broke through the colour barrier with his unbelievably hysterical characters.
WHATYOUSEEIS
WHATYOUGET!

He was awesome, killer funny. Thanks!

breakerslion said...

Yeah, that took me back. My favorite bit was from a record. Columbus asking Queen Isabella to finance his voyage "to discover America!"

Flip as Queen I. (Geraldine voice) "America? What's that?"

"Where do you think all those Ray Charles records come from?"

"Columbus is gonna discover Ray Charles! Columbus is gonna discover Ray Charles!"

Who else could have pulled that off? Thnks for joggin the noggin.

Tanya Gwen Minnick said...

hehehe...very funny indeed...thanks for the laugh!
peace and light
t

Old Grizz said...

Old Grizz remembers flip and appreciates the memory thanks for indulging us.

Marja said...

LoL good one Thanks for sharing

Dee Martin said...

"What you see is what you get!" Go Geraldine :)

Fledgling Poet said...

Oh wow, I haven't thought of Flip Wilson in probably 25 years! Thanks for bringing back great memories of watching this as a kid. Loved him!

Lucy said...

i remember him but hadn't thought of him in too long.. his geraldine was hysterical! off to watch your clip
...indulging in laughter and memories..Priceless!
:)