Friday, September 17, 2010

Escape Me Now....

Driving ‘long the highway
a bearded Amish
lost in thought
cruised by in a dirty, white van.

Leathered, zoned out face
revealed it wasn’t Rumspringa at all,
just an ole hippie
singing songs of time gone by,
while Tracy Chapman’s
melancholic vocals
oozed muzak in my background -
"escape me now..."

For Friday Flash 55.

The poem above was based on an quick observation from today. As I was driving towards my next destination in a long line of stops I had to do, I was listening to this beautiful song by Tracy Chapman and just as I saw the man in the white van, the lyrics "escape me now" were being sung, and the image of Rumspringa coupled with the man's bearded Amish look sprung to mind.

Posted the song below. Right now I'm in my Tracy Chapman phase and can't get enough of this folk singer....take a listen, it's quite beautiful.



14 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Love it Rebecca!

Everyday Goddess said...

she has such a great sound that comes from her very soul.

i wonder if i might actually know that ole hippie ;)

Cheeseboy said...

Great stuff. Thumbs up for any post involving the Amish.

G-Man said...

Boy we sure do get our inspiration from the strangest places don't we.
I really liked this Rebecca.
Excellent 55 My Dear
Thanks for playing, I'm sorry about the low response to your 55, but It Is late. Thats what great about hosting, you still get to read ALL of them.
Have a Kick Ass Week End.
Please try again Next week, just play a bit earlier....G

Teresa said...

I love this. The idea of the Amish man being a hippie driving a white van made me chuckle.

Tricia said...

Haven't listened to Tracy much but I love this.
Hi Becca! Its been quite sometime! Missed your spot.

Brian Miller said...

nice. love watching and writing based on those that i see...love where your mind took it..i enjoy tracy chapman as well. nice 55

Scarlet Ily said...

You captured the moment beautifully with words.

kelly said...

Oh. I'm so glad you commented on my blog. A small bread crumb to follow here. Beautiful.

Jo said...

That is an excellent example of synchronicity and serendipity.

I love Tracy Chapman...!

Your poem is wonderful, by the way.

Genie Sea said...

Love the poem! So potent!
Love you! So wonderful!

Missed you while I was on blog hiatus! :)

Vickie said...

I love what we call normal events of the day are actually poetry because life is so magnifcient! You saw the beauty and the event as beautiful, and that's why it is...that's poetry.

Love Tracy Chapman and haven't listened in awhile... Now, I'm going to buy some of her CD's. Love this song!

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

Great way to tell you thoughts for those moments that seem mundane...

ladynimue said...

this was good read :)