Friday, February 15, 2008

Uruks, Arnold, Russey & Bog

I have these dreams. I have these dreams that are sometimes pretty funny and extremely convoluted. Where they come from, I don't know, but they sure keep me entertained and makes great fodder for stories. What follows is a dream I had ....*sigh yeah*

Middle Earth: I’ve been abducted and taken as a slave by a very scary, primitive tribe of huge, menacing-looking freaks that are about seven feet tall. Filthy and downright ugly are the adjectives best used to describe these lovely hunks. Think the Uruk-hais from the Lord of the Rings. Better yet, they are the Uruk-hais, hundreds and hundreds of them. But I’m not scared. In fact, I’m wondering how the hell I got here, quite nonchalantly I might add. I notice there are no women; I appear to be the only one. But for scary, menacing-looking, fear-enticing freaks, they treat me pretty decently because I'm left alone and thankfully not tied to some pole waiting to be the sacrificial babe to something bigger and uglier. That they can get any uglier I can't even imagine.

Okay, so now I’m working this wheel -- think Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan the Barbarian where he’s pushing the Wheel of Pain. Yep, same wheel, except it’s not painful for me because next to me is a lovely, chivalrous wheel helper/slave Uruk-hai who happens to be very sweet. He is basically taking the brunt of the work. So, while I’m feigning to work the wheel so I don't get in trouble, I'm busy thinking of a way to rid myself of these beauty queens who seem intent on keeping me. For what, I’ve no idea, but I don’t want to stick around to find out why. But then my thoughts are rudely interrupted by my neighbor wheel-helper/slave Uruk-hai who tells me to pay attention to the Uruk-hai boss who has something very important to say. Except my new BFF doesn't actually form words, he grunts.....and I understand him. And then I listen to his boss grunt directions, and I understand him. Seems we're going to town. We're going to town to kill and pillage. But first we're going to befriend. Befriend, kill and pillage. Got it.

Cowboy Town: I've gone from an arid landscape bordered by mountains to a cowboy town, dry with tumbleweeds. Yep, makes perfect sense. I already have it planned that this trip to Marlboro Country will be my opportunity to escape. But first, I have to rid myself of my very sweet and kind Uruk-hai who appears to have an unnatural attachment to me. I conclude that the reason he was made a slave was because of his sweet disposition. His mother probably had an affair with some minor, subservient breed and that’s why they considered him defective. As scary looking as he was, he really didn't scare anybody. He just wanted to be friends with you. Boy, bet you his father was pissed off when the little sucker came out and all he wanted was a hug!

"Hey, Uruk look!" I point, "Some cute looking cowboys are winking at me. They’re hot!" I state a la Paris H. They’ve probably never seen a girl Uruk-hai before. I’m looking all wild and smoldering hot with my long, dirt-laden rasta hair and layers of ugly, dull clothes. Oh yeah, I'm so very attractive right now. I start fiddling with my hair and batting my eyelashes. They like that....oh yeah.

Uruk grabs my hand because I'm losing focus and leads me to the saloon to begin our befriending session. No sooner have the swinging doors hit us in the back, that I see we’re in an arena. Think ancient Roman arenas where slaves are thrown in with lions to fight to the death. Think Gladiator. Cowboy town to Roman arena. Of course.

I quickly scan the area in the back to see if there's an escape and find that there is. But first I have to nudge my way through the toga cheering crowd.

"Hey, Uruk look! There’s Russell Crowe!" Russey baby is fighting some lions at the moment. "Damn, look at those legs!" My mouth waters like one of those lucky lions in the arena with hottie Russey but too bad I can't stay and daydream of all the different ways I can have him use those legs.

Back to business. The toga-wearing men are eating grapes fed to them by the half-naked Roman floozies hanging all over them. God, have they no shame? But hey, I'm not here to judge, I need to book. They don't notice me and that's good. Check.

Commercial interruption. I wake up. I'm in need of hydration. Perhaps all of that wheel working in Middle Earth has dehydrated me. I drink my glass of water and go back to bed.

I fall back asleep. Guess what.....I'm back at the arena. I find my exit. I look behind me to see where sweet Uruk is and see him distracted by action in the ring. I scram.

A Bog, Present Day: It's dark outside. Wait a minute, wasn’t it just noon in there? I take a deep breath. Never mind. I am now facing a bog the size of a small lake. In order for me to escape, I have to cross it. There is no boat to make the cross and so I set on foot, the bog weighing me down. Finally I reach the other side and come upon a fence which I have to climb. On the other side is a deserted highway - the road to freedom. I climb over and begin to run.

I arrive at New Orleans. I run through the streets and find the steps that lead to an underground city. I run past one door after another looking for the right door to enter. I finally find it. I open it...

I’m back home.

*End of dream*

26 comments:

Gemma Wiseman said...

O wow! What a spin through time! The amazing thing is, it feels so real! Of course, when you mentioned Middle Earth, I was hooked! I have spent a lot of dreaming time in that place!

Smiles and Light

paisley said...

wow... i am someone that dreams in little snippets so something this complex is amazing... time travel indeed.....

anthonynorth said...

Some good recollections there - and fancy leaving us on a cliffhanger :-)
Enjoyed this.

Crafty Green Poet said...

wow that was some dream, amazing to remember all that detail too

rebecca said...

greyscale territory: i loved the stories of the hobbits decades before it came on the big screen. i find tolkien to be one of the most gifted and brilliant writers of time. so i was not disappointed at all when it finally made it on the big screen and i'm a fan.

paisley: i do dream in snippets as well (although these tend to very funny -- like the time i dreamt of 2 seals waddling into Costco -- one had a pink hat with a flower sticking out of it, and a purse OR the time i dreamt i saw calixta flockhart at a black tie affair with a strapless black gown and she was covered in tattoos OR the time i sat with Prince (the singer) at a restaurant and he was trying to help me choose dessert -- death by chocolate or some other one i can't remember now). huh? yeah, they come in spurts for two seconds and end. but, yes, overall my dreams tend to be very complex and many times entertaining!

anthony: cliffhanger? yeah, i never could figure out what the last part of the dream was all about.

crafty green: yep, my dreams are quite detailed indeed....i attribute it all to my subconscious mind picking up all the minute visual details i see in life thru films, real life, etc.

all in all, i think this dream is nothing more than me watching too many movies! evidently, i absorb a lot and it just stays filed away and filters itself into my dreams. the last part however (the bog) is the one i need to work on and figure out what it means.

Tumblewords: said...

My mouth hangs open! Incredible detail and story line. I can't imagine imagining something so vivid! :) Great job!

Lifeless in Ohio said...

Amazing where our dreams take us!

Anonymous said...

What an adventure. That's what time travel is all about, whether dreams or while writing it. Great work!

UL said...

wow, that was a dream indeed...i have done the commerical breaks myself, just that i dont remember the dreams like you do...thanks for sharing.

rebecca said...

UL: wow! another one who has experienced commercial interruption dreams....aren't they weird? pick up right where you left off....not the norm, i have to say.

tumblewords: the only reason i remember my dreams so vividly after such a long time is because whenever i have some like these that are so detail-oriented, so fantastical, so UNREAL, i journal them the following day before i start forgetting the minor details of it. i love reading thru my dream journal. some stuff, honestly, my conscious mind just cannot make up.

ratanaong: yes, some of them are quite an adventure. partly due to a very overactive imagination and too many movies.

cricket's hearth: it is quite amazing what our minds conjure during sleep....

Anonymous said...

You dream like me. Sometimes my dreams are so vivid I think they actually happened. I can't believe you had the wheel of pain in your dream. Awesome. You must have been exhausted when you woke up!

Jeques said...

Rebecca,

You dreamed all these to write them, that's just how fiction writers are, they write even in their sleep.

This could be a book series with the main character traveling through time - an immortal. And once the book is published, many film makers would be interested and this could be the next blockbuster. I imagine Steven Spielberg directing the film and Angelina Jolie in the lead role.

I have read the book before it was published, I have seen the movie before it was filmed. I've met the award winning, bestseller writer before she became popular. And Oh, I should get an autograph now.

I wish you well.

~ Jeques

rebecca said...

Selma: I see we're kindred spirits....and, yes, the Wheel of Pain! Can you believe it! But I wish it had been Arnold working it...LOL

Just Jen: I dream most definitely in color. And it has happened to you as well with the glass of water! It only happened to me once and it freaked me out.

Jeques: Yes, I guess many fiction writers cull their ideas from dreams...they are a terrific source of inspiration!

Well, I'm glad everyone is enjoying my dreamlike voyage into different places and times! I'll be sure to post any future ones I may have....

Anonymous said...

Very creative!

I can believe the "commercial break" in your dream, too. I can sometimes direct my dream by telling myself what I will dream and thinking about it as I drift off to sleep. That only works if I do get right to sleep, though!

little wing writer said...

that was hilarious and so well written... loved all your little tidbits of info along the way... being a trekkie i was thinkin klingon warriors... they grunt and are kinda cute..enjoyed the paris thingee..you're hot... and russel crow's baby... didn't have a phone in his hand did he..hope you get a chance to talk to your grandma next time... and that's so interesting abt the glass of water... i await yr next adventure...

Rambler said...

I am really amazed that you could remember your dream in so much detail. That was one amazign story :)

Anonymous said...

Earlier I used to have vivid dreams. Not any more. I find your fascinating.

timely intervention

Anonymous said...

Yikes what an awesome memory you have ... phew fantastic, well done, Thnak YOU!

Anonymous said...

Remarkable cinematography! Your brain is plot-making, script-writing software that really gets to kick up its heels at night when you’re not there or only half there. I like Jeques’ comment. It supports my theory! ;-)

Day Dreamer said...

Girl! You gotta stop eating pizza before you go to bed! I'm just sayin'...
Russell Crowe! !*THUD*! If you looked up Real Man in the dictionary you'd find his picture. I am counting the minutes until May 14th and Robin Hood's release.

brenda w said...

Wonderful dream! Thanks for sharing it this, it reads like a dream, too. (double meaning intended)
~Brenda

vivienne blake said...

Wow! Where did that come from? Exciting, and as someone said, it does read like a film scenario.

Tilly Bud said...

Dreams are a wonderful resource - if only we could remember them! I hope you keep a dream diary.

Elizabeth said...

It's called a sequential dream because it is broken into a sequence of place,time, environment, etc. and although they seem unrelated they are all connected. The commercial break is because of the stages of sleep (4 of them)in which we move away from conscious awareness and back again. And yes, I have done both the sequential dreaming and the commercial break.


Dreams are messages from the subconscious mind and the message can be unraveled if that is the desire. You are half-way there because you are recording them upon awakening. And I agree, they do make for excellent material to write about.

Elizabeth

rob kistner said...

Yo Rebecca, I am exhausted just reading this whirlwind -- wow!

...rob

Kris McCracken said...

I've been stuck in a loop of having memory dreams. I wish I had exciting ones like these!