Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thieved



The portal. That ragged piece of weather worn rock precariously held in position by some long gone pirate's abraded peg leg was the harbinger of bad things to come. Intrigued, I had walked over to see what lay beyond. I ascended the rocky mound painfully bleeding my tender feet along the way. Delicate feet that were unaccustomed to the sharp harshness that nature at times created. As I passed through the arch, a surge of electricity sent my body into paralytic spasms. That was the last thing I remembered.

I awaken prostrate on a black tile floor. I am in a room filled with women. My mind at once registering the absence of men. I've no recollection how I got there. I pick myself up and approach one of the room's expansive windows to see what lays outside. It is night. I am in a tower overlooking a beach. A beach where elongated monochromatic figures walk slowly in pairs below. I begin to feel ill at ease.

A loud crack interrupts my disquieting thoughts. It is now Noon. Light begins to filter through the walls fracturing our faces into tiny, distorted pieces. Faces that agitate in fear with eyes dawning into shock. I feel a surge of electricity pass through me again.

It is night once again. The tower is now floating. No sky nor beach nor signs of Earth can be seen. Outside, a big expanse of nothingness awaits; a big expanse 'cept for two mammoth moons standing sentry eyeing our every move. We have been abducted, stolen from the arms of our kind to become unwilling aliens to this new world. I feel a tug at my belly. I look down and notice that it has swollen, become gravid. Water breaks and pools at my feet. I look up and note I am not alone in my impregnated state.

Yes, that arch was the precursor of all bad things to come. The portal that led to the ones that stole us from our kind. We were abducted, thieved from our kind to birth their kind; unwilling citizens, carriers, impregnated spoils.

11 comments:

Gail said...

Fascinating!

Elizabeth said...

Good short piece of fiction. Like the immediacy of the tone, not too cluttered with details that might blur the suspense. Wonderful response to the prompt.

Elizabeth

Judie said...

I want to know what happened later! Good work!

Claudia said...

oh wow - this was fascinating to read - and i also love the pic

mine is up as well

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I'm staying away from that arch!

Love "pirate's abraded peg leg ..."

Laura said...

totally creepy...I'm with Rose!

Niki from Brooklyn said...

You have the beginnings there of another novel. Very good.

Stacey said...

oo, i like. definitely want to know more.

Nancy C said...

A beach where elongated monochromatic figures walk slowly in pairs below. I begin to feel ill at ease.

This line lingers. Oh, I can't stop thinking of it.

Tilly Bud said...

Fascinating read!

C.M. Jackson said...

excellent!!